Monday, July 18, 2011

Shameless: Can You Picture a Pagoda-Roof Looking This Undignified?



Seriously, Mercedes-Benz SL, what happened to you? Back in the day, you bespoke a certain masculine refinement, an understated glamour, a panache not at all frivolous, but underpinned by real substance. You were the car an aging Cary Grant would drive. Today it's easier to picture behind the wheel an aging Fabio.

Perhaps it's just a symptom of our age. It occurs to me that it's been years since the last time I heard the word that once perfectly summed up your character deployed without snark or sarcasm, as if the very concept has become as debased and obsolete as the idea of a hardtop convertible for two cultured grown-ups. That word? Classy.

Click for full-size booty-in-the-air SL action

2 Comments:

Blogger JESS!CA said...

Ugh, I miss class. Is that an SLK or an SL? I feel the former has a slightly more heinous facelift.

Seriously, even the ones in the 90s were cooler. These Benzis look like butt. Big cute nondescript American butt.

I don't know if it's just age though dude. To me it's like...I don't know, there are many badass cars of the past that seem to visually voice their make at least. And where those models are today doesn't really do that. They all just kind of look...sedan-y.

11:35 PM  
Blogger JESS!CA said...

NEVERMIND I SEE YOUR CAPTION NOW.

BUTTS!

11:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home